2005 Followers
helliepie

Helen O'Reilly's Spunky Blog

Reading, for me, leads to writing, as day leads into night and night back into day; they are halves of a whole. I was one of those kids who cracked the code early; I've been reading since I was three, and the writing came later once I'd learned to hold a pencil, but when it came, it really burst forth. Everything a working writer does I have done-- I have written and published everything, from corporate annual reports, to radio ads, children's poetry, -fiction and -non-fiction, to memoir and now, my first novel for adults. Spunk, a Fable is a lot like me; "just dirty enough."

Signs of the Apocalypse? Or Just Good Old American "Culture?"

I notice that many folks on this site have names with a lot of consonants in them, and that the site itself originates from Poland. So let me ask you: What do you think of Americans? When you look at our television programming, do you think we are all narcissistic capitalists, willing to sell our most private moments for a quick buck, like the Kardashians?

Do you think we are all gun-totin' vigilantes, like George Zimmerman?

Do you think we are all rap stars, like Jay Z?

When you meet one of us in person, are you amazed at how little we know about the world beyond our borders?

Do you think we all give our children bizarre names, like Apple?

What do you think of the fact that we now sell "gourmet" dog food meals in the "frozen food" section of the supermarket?

What on earth do you think when you see a spectacle like Honey Boo-Boo?

What goes through your mind when you see a news broadcast showing signs accusing President Obama of being both a FACIST and a COMMUNIST, which you must know are diametrically opposed philosophies?

And what do you make of Fox News?

There is so much more I wonder, but that will do for a start. What must you think of us?