1927 Followers
helliepie

Helen O'Reilly's Spunky Blog

Reading, for me, leads to writing, as day leads into night and night back into day; they are halves of a whole. I was one of those kids who cracked the code early; I've been reading since I was three, and the writing came later once I'd learned to hold a pencil, but when it came, it really burst forth. Everything a working writer does I have done-- I have written and published everything, from corporate annual reports, to radio ads, children's poetry, -fiction and -non-fiction, to memoir and now, my first novel for adults. Spunk, a Fable is a lot like me; "just dirty enough."

What's in a Name? Spunk?

Spunk, just Spunk, was going to be the title of my novel since . . . forever. That's what the story is about, "spunk" in both senses of the word; the "vital fluid" that men contribute to human reproduction and the gritty, assertive quality that spunk brings to life.

My novel could never NOT have been called Spunk, but even though the respected Zora Neale Hurston also has a book by that name, the word itself, when used in a search, brings up some truly filthy and NSFW words and pictures.  So I added a deck: the words, a Fable. Spunk, a Fable doesn't seem to drag along with it so many discomfiting search terms and images, but if I was really worried about that, I'd have changed the name to something like Semen.

This is the first book in a series, and I find myself wondering what the sequel should be called. Spit? Sweat? Keep the body fluid idea going? Or just do what seems right once the next volume is written. I'll figure it out. Any suggestions? Don't be afraid to comment; I won't bite!