helliepie

Helen O'Reilly's Spunky Blog

Reading, for me, leads to writing, as day leads into night and night back into day; they are halves of a whole. I was one of those kids who cracked the code early; I've been reading since I was three, and the writing came later once I'd learned to hold a pencil, but when it came, it really burst forth. Everything a working writer does I have done-- I have written and published everything, from corporate annual reports, to radio ads, children's poetry, -fiction and -non-fiction, to memoir and now, my first novel for adults. Spunk, a Fable is a lot like me; "just dirty enough."

Spunk - Helen O'Reilly Riddley Walker - Russell Hoban Animal Farm Publisher: Signet Classics; 50th Anniversary edition - George Orwell 1984 - George Orwell Herland - Charlotte Perkins Gilman The Hunger Games  - Suzanne  Collins The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood A Clockwork Orange - Stanley Kubrick The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet - Eleanor Cameron The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien, Alan Lee
Portrait of the Artist Hiding Double Chin
Portrait of the Artist Hiding Double Chin

In the news today we see that Emma Watson, the gorgeous, gamine ingenue who first portrayed Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter films, will be cast in a post-apocalyptic female "Game of Thrones" type movie. I guess post-apocalyptic female dystopias are in the air! Good; Perhaps someday Spunk, a Fable, will be made into a movie, and won't that be fun!?

Okay, I'll admit it, I've played the game (in my mind of course); "who would I want to play the lead in the movie of my book?"

For the physical description of the character Pink, I imagined, not the singer who goes by that name, but the actress Lily Cole, who I consider a great beauty.

For Yuki-Kai, I imagined Paz de la Huerta, an altogether different type of beauty, but a beauty nonetheless.

I imagined Helen Mirren as the perfect Senga, but the other older women characters seemed too different to be embodied by any present-day stars. Of course, Buffy could only be played by someone like Kathy Bates, or even Kirstie Alley, a woman of substance. And who could play The Abbess? In a movie, the villain always has to cut the most striking figure-- and yesterday I read that Barbra Streisand, a most striking figure indeed, has been awarded an honorary degree--Yes; Doctor Barbra Streisand would be a most suitable Abbess!